Monday, December 20, 2010

The Small Things Add Up


In this January's 2011 issue of Real Simple Magazine I came across this month's questions posed.

{What is the one small thing that always makes you happy?}

Wow how powerful is that! It kind of makes you step back and ponder for a bit. Thinking about this for myself I came up with TONS of small things in my life that make me happy. And not a single one is a tangible item that can be purchased, but rather a collection of moments throughout my day.

For instance the short list of my long list of items that make me happy:

  1. The way my hubs always compliments me when I wear orange.
  2. The way my affenpinscher looks at me adoring as though I am the only person in the world.
  3. A phone call from momma just because she wanted to see how my day was.
  4. Sitting on the porch drinking whiskey with daddy at dusk.
  5. Hearing the song Footloose randomly come the radio.
  6. Opening the car windows on a beautiful day to feel the wind on my face.
  7. The smell of fall time outside with the first coolness of winter to come.
  8. The feeling of accomplishment once I have cleaned our house.
  9. Sharing a laugh amongst friends.
  10. Starting a new creative project.

What are the simple things that make your life so happy? We all tend to over complicate our lives, which is why I love exercises like the one Real Simple posed this month. It really makes you take stock and realize maybe everything doesn't have to be perfect, maybe you don't have to have that new car, or a new house, but rather enjoy what you are missing every day in your life already.

No comments:

Post a Comment